5 Ways Univa Grid Engine Wins
- Zero Switching Costs. Guaranteed drop-in replacement
- Active Grid Engine Roadmap. Stay ahead of the Innovation Curve
- International, Enterprise Class Product Support
- Robust Add-on Products. Drive more value from Grid Engine
- One Click HPC. Grid Engine On Demand
Look at Grid Engine Now!
Univa Grid Engine Wins Hands Down!
Univa is where Grid Engine Lives. Organizations now have a clear choice when considering how to remaining ahead of the innovation curve with Univa Grid Engine.
The following comparison is designed to help Grid Engine users understand their choices with a focus on the compatibility and qualification of Grid Engine today and into the future.
Comparing Univa Grid Engine to Open Source
Typically, open source software is viewed as a low cost alternative to commercial software. However, there are often additional costs that accompany the open source model that may not be accounted for in direct comparisons. In order to understand the total cost comparison, account must be taken for support in the form of installation and configuration, bug fixes and day-to-day care and feeding. These amenities create the assurance that there are dedicated resources standing behind the product ensuring its production-worthy status, as well as the confidence that it can be recovered within a reasonable period of time (in the event of a major bug or outage).
Comparing Univa Grid Engine to Oracle
In addition to reactive support, the model must address feature enhancements (many times referred to as engineering change requests), integrate with other products, and proactively address future demand - so that features and capabilities are available at day one of delivery for technology innovation outside of the product. Each of these capabilities has an escalating cost, benefit, and quality of service impact.
Where Can I Find More Information?
- Current Grid Engine users should look here:
- Users of other schedulers - such as Platform LSF, Altair PBS Professional or RunTime Design Network Computer - will benefit from reading this:
Comparing Univa Grid Engine
||Univa Grid Engine
||Open Source Grid Engine
||Oracle Grid Engine|
|Current Version Number
|Qualification versus Existing Binaries
||Compatible as of today|
|Professional Grid Engine Developers on Staff
||Yes, Core Team
|Offer Commercial Version
|Level of Support Available
||Full, Enterprise Class Support
|Professional Services Available
|Target Markets for Upcoming Features
||Yes, with Oracle Products Only|
|Technical Computing (example: EDA)
|Add-on Product Feature Set
|Automated Cluster Configuration
|Automated Cloud Configuration
- Oracle has Grid Engine developers on staff working on various projects which are outlined in this public webinar
- Oracle offers commercial licenses to a product for which there is no HPC or technical computing roadmap - see this public webinar
- Oracle's commercial support is limited to break/fix at the time of this writing
- Oracle's professional services do not include offerings around Grid Engine or HPC at the time of writing this
- Oracle bundles SDM which provides rudimentary cloud 'node' configuration
- Oracle includes Arco which provides rudimentary reporting capabilities